Frequently Asked Questions For Working Parents

/ For Employers    / For Working Parents    / For Childcarers


By taking vouchers – could this affect my Working Tax Credits?

Yes. You need to contact the tax credit helpline on 0845 300 3900 to see how you will be affected. As a rule of thumb, if you have a joint annual income of £25k or more you will benefit by taking part in the scheme.

Can I vary the voucher value every month?

No. You should work out your annual childcare costs for your childcarer and pro rata the amounts over a 12 month period. You can also take a variety of denominations as all the vouchers do not have to be used month on month and are valid for 12 months. We do however suggest that you use the oldest serial numbers first.

What happens if my voucher's get lost or destroyed?

Just phone our helpline and we will arrange for the vouchers to be reprinted. The serial numbers will be reproduced – the date will change.

Do I have to take the full amount of £55 per week or £243 per month?

No you don't. You set the amount and the denominations and we will generate the vouchers that you require.

How long do I have to stay in the scheme?

Ideally you need to be tied in for at least 12 months. If you have a life changing event such as pregnancy, redundancy, separation or death of a child / partner, then you can exit the scheme.

What happens if I leave my employer?

You will automatically be excluded from the scheme but you can still use any outstanding vouchers in your possession to pay your childcarer.

What happens if I change my childcarer?

Just contact your HR department or us direct and we will contact your new childcarer to arrange them to register if they have not already joined us.

Can both parents take part in the scheme?

Yes – where both employers have signed up to a scheme, you can. Both parents can also take part if they work for the same employer.